There are many ways to create a game environment – we have developed an automatic map creator for strategy or RPG-style games. Using this Hex Map Generator, it is possible to iterate many times without committing to a final map design. Since you also have the freedom to change up assets, the map variations are endless! This tool allows you to layout and scatter assets on your map by masking out areas with shapes and makes use of elevations to raise terrain or inversely, bodies of water. For this presentation, we will look at the internals of the Hex Map Generator tool in Houdini, and how it works to make maps in Unreal Engine. With Houdini Engine, this tool can be used in Unity, and with some adjustments, also in Maya, Cinema 4D and 3ds Max.
- SideFX Webinar: HDA Building Part 2
- Make More Assets | Rob Stauffer | GDC 2018
- Houdini Foundations | Robert Magee | GDC 2018
- Houdini Engine for Autodesk Maya and 3DS Max | Robert Magee | GDC 2018
- Game Development Tips and Tricks | Luiz Kruel | GDC 2018